Neurosurgeon Functional Academic Consultant
Hello, my name is Mike Hart. I am a consultant neurosurgeon with a specialist interest in treating pain, movement disorders, and epilepsy.
My aim is to provide a full repertoire of treatments to help best manage symptoms & facilitate faster recovery. To do this I pursue not just standard neurosurgical treatments but also the latest neuro devices and minimally invasive technologies.
Together, I help empower people to make personal treatment decisions, then deliver them in a timely and compassionate manner.
- Name:Mike Hart
- Address:New Victoria Hospital, London, UK
- Study:Cambridge, Vancouver, London
- Degree:PhD FRCSEd
- General Neurosurgery
- Spinal Neurosurgery
- Functional Neurosurgery
- Deep Brain Stimulation
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Peripheral Nerve Stimulation
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation
- Ultra-high field 7 Tesla MRI
- Machine Learning
- Clinical trials
- Digital Technology
- Neuro devices
University of EdinburghMedical degree
University of CambridgePhD
Awake brain mappingProf Hugus Duffau, Montpellier
Functional NeurosurgeryProf Chris Honey, University of British Columbia
NeuromodulationSt George's, University of London
"...kind & considerate, I was so well informed of all that was going on"
Happy patient #1Lumbar discectomy
"...thank you for giving me the opportunity to see what a difference DBS has made to my life"
Happy patient #2DBS
If you are interested in this, see my academic website: www.mrmikehart.com/academia
As well as a functional neurosurgeon, I am a senior lecturer, and academia occupies a significant part of my practice.
Maximising benefit and minimising harm in functional neurosurgery are the overarching background themes to my academic pursuits.
I leverage cutting-edge neuroimaging methods (ultra-high field 7T MRI, connectomics) to understand both disease mechanisms (thalamic sensori-motor dysintegration) and novel treatment targets (tractography-based stimulation).
Translating technological advances to improved patient care is effected through judicious industry collaborations.
My work leverages consultancy agreements for cell delivery in movement disorders and epilepsy, leading trials on novel electrode design, and app development for surgical planning (NetSym®) and accuracy appraisal (neuroXact).
Overall, my aim is to provide a wide-ranging clinical and academic practice in functional neurosurgery that allows patients to benefit from the latest clinical advances, research discoveries, and technological innovations.
For further information, see my academic website: www.mrmikehart.com/academia
- Imaging:7T / Connectomics / Tractography
- Analytics:Big Data / Machine Learning / AI
- Digital:App Design & Coding
- Devices:Trials / Regulatory / Closed-Loop
- Academic Foundation Programme
- Prospectus:AFP Neurosurgery
- Academic Clinical Fellow
- Prospectus:ACF Neurosurgery
- Objective:Independent & without bias
- Quantified:Sub-milimeteric anatomical evaluation
- Trusted:authentic & assured
I perform work as an expert witness with Eopinex. My aim is to provide specialist information in a clear and timely manner in order to produce the highest standard of court-compliant reports. I actively participate in regular formal training from certified providers to keep up to date, as per guidance from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (2019).
- Training:Bond Solon
- Cases:General, Spinal, & Functional Neurosurgery
I perform work as an expert consultant for a variety of companies ranging from small tech start-ups to major industry partners. Advice can range from patient pathways, treatment strategies, and operative procedures.
- Trials:RCT Design, Approval, Statistics
- MRI:Sequences, Analysis, 7T
- Biomarkers:Neuroimaging, Clinical, LFP
- Devices:Approval, Trials, MRI conditionality
- Functional Committee of the European Association of Neurological Societies (EANS);
- Research & Development lead of the British Society of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgeons (BSSFN);
- Member of the Interim Devices Working Group (IDWG) of the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority (MHRA);
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) of the Epilepsy Institute.